Dog Tag Keychain: Project Overview
Submitted by: Jon Hiebl, Ashland High School
- Equipment Used: 3D Printer, Laser Cutter/Engraver
- Time Required: 5-7 Days
Scenario, Criteria and Constraints
Using a laser cutter/engraver, students design and create a dog tag that functions as a key chain to include their name and graduation year.
Students will design, sketch, 3D model, and 3D print a dog tag adhering to the following requirements:
- Maximum size: 2” x 3” x ⅜” thick.
- Must include the student's first and last names.
- Must include the student's graduation year.
- Must include a hole for a keychain ring.
After completing this activity, students engage the following competencies:
- Design Process
- 3D Modeling
- 2D Layout Drawings
- Introduction to 3D Printing
- Introduction to Laser Cutting/Engraving
- Precision Measurement - Caliper