Children are the foundation for a bright future. It’s never too early to start giving them the tools they need to be successful. As an Early Childhood Education (ECE) major at UW-Stout, you'll become certified to teach birth through third grade in Wisconsin.
- Small online class sizes
- Real-world experience in child care facilities and school districts near you
- Strong advisement from faculty
- Personalized learning plans created based on transfer credits already completed
- Fall 2022 - Summer 2023 BS ECE Online Course Matrix (tentative)
As an Online student in the Early Childhood Education major at UW-Stout, you’ll become certified to teach birth through third grade in regular education and special education in Wisconsin. Our experience tenured faculty look forward to supporting you as you pursue your dream of becoming and early childhood educator. You will experience hands on work with children near you before you student teach.
"Stout has provided so many opportunities for me that I did not know were possible. All within a short two years, and before the start of student teaching, my confidence has grown as well as my passion for teaching."
-- Ana Jane SchuerstedtB.S. Early Childhood Education
Use the Request Information form to receive a program summary and learn more about the Bachelor of Science degree in Early Childhood Education.
Value for Your Money
Online customized instruction at UW Stout can be described as programs that are designed with the adult learner in mind. If you're comparing UW-Stout's online degree customized instruction (CI) tuition to our competitors, keep in mind:
- Customized instruction tuition rate includes the textbook rental fee.
- There are no additional university-based semester or technology fees.
- Students in customized instruction programs pay the same rate of tuition regardless if Wisconsin residents, out-of-state or international participants.
There’s more to value than just tuition. UW Stout also provides:
- Program Director – faculty with discipline expertise.
- Student Services adviser – one point of contact, providing support to students for each program.
- Course sequences and matrices – know what courses are offered when so you can plan ahead.
- Courses and programs may be stackable for use in another program.
- Courses are flexible and convenient for working professionals.
Other universities will present costs and value differently - make sure you're comparing apples to apples.
Note: This program is designed to meet the requirements for licensure in the State of Wisconsin. Students from other states will need to contact their state regarding licensure requirements.
- Earned associate's degree in Early Childhood education
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Significant transfer credits from a different institution
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher from the last institution attended.
Students who meet this requirement will be admitted to the university in their chosen Education major. Subsequent acceptance into a teacher education major and enrollment in professional education coursework will require successful completion of Benchmark I requirements. Additional information can be found at the School of Education website.
Students whose cumulative GPA is lower than the 2.75 will be reviewed and considered on a case-by-case basis for admission consideration.
This online program is for working adults and provides the same quality of academic teaching and learning to meet your goals. We also offer a post-baccalaureate option if you currently have a teaching license in another area.
- Public and Private School Teachers (Pre-school-third grade)
- Head Start Director
- Assistant Director
- Infant/Toddler Teacher
- Pre-K Teacher
- Kindergarten Teacher
- First Grade Teacher
- Second Grade Teacher
- Third Grade Teacher
Stout Graduates at Work
- Starting preschool program » Lime Springs and Ridgeway, Iowa
- Starting 4K program » Ellsworth, Wisconsin
- First Grade Teacher » Almond-Bancroft, Wisconsin
- Kindergarten Teacher » St. Paul, Minnesota
- Elementary Teacher » Denver, Colorado
- Kindergarten Teacher » Frederick, Wisconsin
- First Grade Teacher » Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
- Kindergarten Teacher » Bloomer, Wisconsin
- Third Grade Teacher » Almena, Wisconsin
- 4K Teacher » Mosinee, Wisconsin
- Kindergarten Teacher » Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Third Grade Teacher » Stanley-Boyd, Wisconsin
- Kindergarten Teacher » Eleva-Strum, Wisconsin
- First Grade Teacher » Cokato, Minnesota
- Pre-K Teacher » Shell Lake, Wisconsin
- Elementary Teacher » Alaska
- Kindergarten Teacher » Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
- 4K Teacher » Baraboo, Wisconsin
- Pre-K Teacher » Plum City, Wisconsin
- Kindergarten Teacher » Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
- Teacher for Teach For America » South Dakota
- First Grade Teacher » East Central Schools, Minnesota
- Kindergarten Teacher » Arizona
- First Grade Teacher » Spooner, Wisconsin
- 4K Teacher » Madison, Wisconsin
- Second Grade Teacher » Colby, Wisconsin
- Second Grade Teacher » Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
- Kindergarten Teacher » Coolidge, Arizona
2022 ECE Advisory Committee
|Amber||Carlsrud||Barron Public Schools|
|Beth||Comstock||First Grade Teacher||Barron Public Schools|
|Tracy||DeRusha||Office of Field Experiences|
|Lisa||Jasper Myer||Third Grade Teacher||Wakanda Elementary, Menomonie School District|
|Carol||Johnson||Associate Dean (SOE)|
|Chris||Peterson||Department Chair (SCOPE)|
|Kathy||Preusse||Teacher||Chippewa Valley Technical College|
|Lori||Smith||Principal||Oak Lawn Elementary, Menomonie School District|
|Linda||Young||Admissions - Transfers and Articulation|
|Joseph||Zawicky||Kindergradten Teacher||Augusts Schools|